Saturday, April 21, 2012

Celeste the Abandoned..

      The Idea of Naming a Piece of Furniture would have been totally off the deep end for me several years ago. As I became more and more interested in Re-Hab'ing and Re-Vamping Cast a Way Furniture.. I  began to understand why other fellow bloggers would give their pieces names. Yeah some may do it just for the "cute factor", BUT i think there is more to it at least for me it is. When I come across a discarded piece of furniture that has been used, abused, loved and lived with for generations finds itself discarded, when its potential is no longer visible to the naked Box Store Loving, Particle Board n Laminate Eye and I can take a look 1 look at it and see something with Possibility. You invest your time, your energy (hopefully as little $ as possible) and your creativity to bring it back to life 2 Give it a Second Chance..Why shouldnt that piece be deserving of a name.
     This is the Story Of Celeste. I first spotted Celeste last weekend when "G" and I were Bumming Around last week. Celeste was down the road behind a Country Bar+ Efficiency Units..I saw her from the street surrounded by tons of junk and some other furniture apparently she came out of a little house that was behind this bar. It was hard to tell how big she was from the road what i did notice were her front legs..yes I AM A LEG GIRL. I was intrigued BUT I didnt pull in. I wondered what is she doing out there, are they moving, are they selling are they going to bring her up the the curb for the picking? I pressed on.
      I passed Celeste every single day going to and from work for the next week, each day slowing down to get a better look at her, she is missing a drawer..is the drawer somewhere in that mass of crap, she is still there, whats the deal?? I text West Point Mama mid week, I tell her about the dresser and if she would be interested in it, of course my gal said yes, I drove over on my day off, no one is outside except the tenants at the efficiency..those guys were CREEPERS!, I just do a drive by. If she was up on the curb thats one thing but i am not going in there, no way man. I pass Celeste 4 more times over the next few days, its bothering me..why is she still just sitting out there.
      I tell my mother about the dresser..she rolls her eyes, sighs, and says "how many more dressers do you need" but her words mean nothing I am a woman with an agenda, im not going to let it go unless i get her or she gets taken by someone else before I do. My mother suggests "well go inside the bar and ask them what the deal is with all the junk". Ummm Yeah RedNeck Bar..Ohhh Lord I really dont want to. So I say "hey y dont u come with me" My mother laughs n spouts "yeahhh right, u want it u go".
      Jump to 2day, I am at work, thinking about that little bookshelf that I have to re-do and Celeste comes mind again, CRAP ITS SUPPOSE TO RAIN THIS AFTERNOON!!! OHHH NO SHE IS GONNA GET RUINED! Old Wood and Water = NOOOO BUENO. Alright then , If I'm gonna make a move on her it has to be 2day.
     I get home from work and get my trusty side kick "G" (she thinks we are going to the pharmacy), which we do but on the return home I say "i just need to take a ride passed something".. G's Response " OHHH GOD YYYYYY, C'MON MOM, I KNEW IT, YOU ARE SUCH A SCAMMER!!!". I tell G where we are going and the poor thing damn near died, she tells me " YOUR ON YOUR OWN" That was until we pulled into the parking lot of the bar and she see's a group of the Efficiency Creepers standing around..She pleads DON'T LEAVE ME HERE BY MYSELF!!! Now we are in the country y'all..its not like we are deep in the Ghetto but u cant sleep on the Efficiency Creepers either.
     I go in the Bar, (what a lovely Treat that was) I asked the bar tender she says she doesn't know but that may be stuff someone is selling, she sends me to the back kitchen to talk to a lovely old lady with no teeth, I inquire about the dresser, she said everything out there is going to the dump if i want it its mine and anything else i can find> SCORE !
      Now I realize this is a long winded post, But I feel I need to provide all the details, to take you on the journey with me :)
      By the time I got back outside, G has the windows rolled u,p doors r locked, and she has laid the seat back so no one can see her LMAO. I tap the window give her the thumbs up and proceed to scour thru the mounds of junk. Cool Cedar Armour that someone muffed up, a great old dresser in great shape ..NO DRAWERS ..Crap..A set of dovetail drawers BUT NO DRESSER>>WHAT THE FRIG..a bunch of other crap, some Milk Glass (which I took) Nothing else here for me EXCEPT what I came for Celeste.
      I get up close and personal..she is smaller than she looked from the road. Time to give her the once over  LEGS: in good shape no wobbles or cracks, FRAME: intact no major splits or cracks, BACKBOARD: intact, TOP: jacked up but nothing a little sanding wont fix..LASTLY the DRAWERS: Where the hell is the missing drawer??If its here i cant find it..I don't even care about the Whole drawer..the drawer front would be just enough but its M.I.A as well, I give a quick pull on the remaining drawers..Awwww MAN! CRAP! ..The Bottoms are toast.. thats ok thats an easy fix..UNTIL i check the dove tail joints NAWWWW MAN, WHAT THE WHAT????WHO THE HELL TOLD ANYONE TO USE GORILLA GLUE???!!! GORILLA GLUE IS THE DEVIL..THE DEVIL I SAY!
     That's it! Enough of this treachery!  SHE IS COMING WITH ME! I motion for G to come help me.. G shakes her head in disapproval (yet again), she climbs out of the Camry and  assesses Celeste and determines she will fit in the back seat. Locked and Loaded and we head home! 
      Once home I have Celeste in the Driveway, i just stare at her, brainstorming her potential, I get a text from West Point Mama ( i had texted her once i got the go ahead from the Bar Owner to take her) She doesn't want Celeste. WHAT?? WHY?? But she fits in the Camry!.. I can bring her to class on Monday..Is it because she is missing a drawer? Would you not want your child because they lost a tooth.? I am just being silly now.  I summon my mother to take a gander at my find..she walks around it shakes her head, I try to convince her of Celeste's positive qualities..i play the "imagine this" game..She is not buying in to my enthusiasm. As dear old mom leaves me to be one with my salvaged find I call out to her " Dont Think You Can Change Your Mind Once I am Done With it, Love her now or not at all" She laughs into the distance..
      Pics of Celeste to Come..Stay Tuned!

As Always, 

A~

No comments:

Post a Comment